Saturday, December 8, 2007

MORE ON VITAMIN D

As much as I reported on Vitamin D the other day, there is more:
(1)
The 'D'-fensive Vitamin: Study Finds Vitamin D Sustains Life
By: Frank ManganoSource: http://www.newstarget.com December 8, 2007
We live in a culture that’s obsessed with who or what’s “the best.” What’s the best exercise? The best food? The best athlete, the best actor, the best deal, the best song, best album, best actress, best candidate, best television, best laptop, gaming system, comedian and on and on and on. So it comes as no surprise to find that researchers have endeavored to discover the best vitamin for the body. Vitamin C? Think again.
According to researchers, it’s the vitamin you get simply by walking outside on a sunny day: vitamin D. Now I know what you’re thinking: How does one define “best”? My interpretation of the best vitamin— like the best song, or TV drama—is different from someone else’s interpretation. So the researchers defined what’s “best” as the vitamin that will prolong your life the most.
After reviewing data from 18 trials of tests that involved 57,000 people, researchers from the International Agency for Research on Cancer in Lyon, France, concluded that taking vitamin D supplements will prolong life by warding off diseases. The study is published in the September issues of Archives of Internal Medicine and Forbes.com .
Six years after the initial studies were done on the 57,000 people, the researchers followed up on the subjects to see what, if any, effect vitamin D had on their bodies. What they found was those who took vitamin D supplements had a 7 percent chance of living longer than the people who did not take vitamin D supplements (approximately 4,800 of the 57,000 people died in between those six years)! Now, granted, 7 percent isn’t a huge number, but it’s large enough to encourage researchers that their findings could be a breakthrough in how medicines are made to treat diseases like cancer.
While the subjects in the studies took varying doses of vitamin D (from as much as 2,000 IUs to as little as 300 IUs), lead researcher Dr. Phillipe Autier recommends no more than 600 IUs as a daily supplement. As you may know, vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin and can be hazardous to your health if taken in too high of dosages. In fact, too much vitamin D may cause cancer, according to a study published in a 2004 issue of the International Journal of Cancer.
So, to paraphrase infomercial magnate Ron Popeil, how much vitamin D do you need and where can you find it? As aforementioned, moderate amounts of sunlight each day causes the body to makes its own vitamin D, but actual healthy food sources include milk, dandelion greens, oatmeal, sweet potatoes and oily fish like salmon, swordfish, mackerel and sardines (3 ½ oz salmon=350 IUs). The herbs alfalfa, horsetail, nettle and parsley also contain Vitamin D.
However you get it, as always, make sure it’s from an organic source as there are more vitamins in them than non-organic food sources. Just as in sports, in life, the best offense is a good 'D'-fense.


If you are going to supplement the vdery best one to take is D-3.
Swanson Home Page
D-3 listed here with a coupon I was offered as a good customer of this most excellent company, I like their supplements because they are made in the US, are safe, and the least expensive I've seen anywhere. I will get no commission on this if you click it here; if it bothers you that I'm trying to make a living here.


and I'm takingCellPower™ and
~4 essential minerals for diabetics
~SELENIUMhelps immune system,fights infection and aids circulation
~MAGNESIUMhelps to relax you, aids stress and muscle relaxing
~CHROMIUMimproves insulin sensitivity, and helps lower blood sugar.
~ZINC especially to help you heal.
*************************************
Be sure to check out my new favorite interactive health message group healthwatch
Write to me at Webriter@verizon.net or use the comment or chat features. I do appreciate the feedback even if it’s negative, Christian Biblical stories
Natural herbal remedies
blessings

-----THE GARDEN GNOME

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

~~~Jokes and Inspiration~~~

We are here on Earth to do good to others. What
the others are here for, I don't know.
-- W. H. Auden

So much of what we call management consists in
making it difficult for people to work.
-- Peter Drucker

If you put tomfoolery into a computer, nothing
comes out of it but tomfoolery. But this
tomfoolery, having passed through a very expensive machine,
is somehow ennobled and no-one dares criticize
it.
-- Pierre Gallois

What happens when the future has come and gone?
-- Robert Half

~~~
I was due for an appointment with the gynecologist later in the week. Early one morning, I received a call from the doctor's office saying
I had been rescheduled for that morning at 9:30a, and it was already 8:45a.

The trip to his office took about 35 minutes, so I didn't have any time to spare. I rushed upstairs, threw off my pajamas, wet the washcloth sitting next to the sink, and gave myself a quick wash to make sure I was presentable. I threw the washcloth in the clothes basket, donned some clothes, hopped in the car and raced to my appointment.

I was in the waiting room for only a few minutes when I was called in. Knowing the procedure, I hopped up on the table, looked over at the other side of the room and pretended that I was in Paris or some other place a million miles away. I was a little surprised when the doctor said, "My, we have made an extra effort this morning, haven't we?" I didn't respond and thought he was being weird.

After the appointment, I heaved a sigh of relief and went home. The rest of the day was normal ... some shopping, cleaning, cooking, etc. After school when my 6 year old daughter was playing, she called out from the bathroom, "Mommy, where's my washcloth?" I told her to get another one from the cupboard.

She replied, "No, I need the one that was here by the sink, it had all my glitter and sparkles saved inside it."

~~~
Caroles


Christmas is fast coming upon us so let’s experience the joy of singing some carols together to welcome the holiday.


I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a happy and (mentally) healthy New Year…



1 Schizophrenia--- Do You hear What I Hear?

2 Multiple Personality Disorder--- We Three Kings Disoriented Are

3 Dementia--- I Think I’ll Be Home For Christmas

4 Narcissistic--- Hark The Herald Angels Sing About Me

5 Manic---Deck The Halls and Walls and House and Lawn and Streets and Stores and Office and Town and Cars and Buses and Trucks and…

6 Paranoid--- Santa Clause Is Coming To Town To Get me

7 Personality Disorder--- You Better Watch Out, I’m Gonna Cry, I’m Gonna Pout, Maybe I’ll Tell You Why

8 Borderline Personality Disorder--- Thoughts Of Roasting On An Open Fire

9 Attention Deficit Disorder--- Silent Night, Holy ooh look at the froggy- can I have a chocolate, why is France so far away?

10 Obsessive Compulsive Disorder--- Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells,………
~~~
The Man and the Birds
by Paul Harvey

The man to whom I'm going to introduce you was not a scrooge, he was a kind decent, mostly good man. Generous to his family, upright in his dealings with other men. But he just didn't believe all that incarnation stuff which the churches proclaim at Christmas Time. It just didn't make sense and he was too honest to pretend otherwise. He just couldn't swallow the Jesus Story, about God coming to Earth as a man.

"I'm truly sorry to distress you," he told his wife, "but I'm not going with you to church this Christmas Eve." He said he'd feel like a hypocrite. That he'd much rather just stay at home, but that he would wait up for them. And so he stayed and they went to the midnight service.

Shortly after the family drove away in the car, snow began to fall. He went to the window to watch the flurries getting heavier and heavier and then went back to his fireside chair and began to read his newspaper. Minutes later he was startled by a thudding sound...Then another, and then another. Sort of a thump or a thud...At first he thought someone must be throwing snowballs against his living room window. But when he went to the front door to investigate he found a flock of birds huddled miserably in the snow. They'd been caught in the storm and, in a desperate search for shelter, had tried to fly through his large landscape window.

Well, he couldn't let the poor creatures lie there and freeze, so he remembered the barn where his children stabled their pony. That would provide a warm shelter, if he could direct the birds to it. Quickly he put on a coat, galoshes, tramped through the deepening snow to the barn. He opened the doors wide and turned on a light, but the birds did not come in. He figured food would entice them in. So he hurried back to the house, fetched bread crumbs, sprinkled them on the snow, making a trail to the yellow-lighted wide open doorway of the stable. But to his dismay, the birds ignored the bread crumbs, and continued to flap around helplessly in the snow. He tried catching them...He tried shooing them into the barn by walking around them waving his arms...Instead, they scattered in every direction, except into the warm, lighted barn.

And then, he realized that they were afraid of him. To them, he reasoned, I am a strange and terrifying creature. If only I could think of some way to let them know that they can trust me...That I am not trying to hurt them, but to help them. But how? Because any move he made tended to frighten them, confuse them. They just would not follow. They would not be led or shooed because they feared him.

"If only I could be a bird," he thought to himself, "and mingle with them and speak their language. Then I could tell them not to be afraid. Then I could show them the way to safe, warm...to the safe warm barn. But I would have to be one of them so they could see, and hear and understand." At that moment the church bells began to ring. The sound reached his ears above the sounds of the wind. And he stood there listening to the bells - Adeste Fidelis - listening to the bells pealing the glad tidings of Christmas. And he sank to his knees in the snow.

Merry Christmas
~~~

An atheist was walking through the woods. "What majestic trees, what powerful rivers, what beautiful animals!", he said to himself.
As he was walking alongside the river, he heard a rustling in the bushes behind him. He turned to look, and saw a 7-foot grizzly bear charging towards him.
He ran as fast as he could up the path. He looked over his shoulder, and saw that the bear was closing in on him.He looked over his shoulder again, and the bear was even closer. The atheist tripped and fell on the ground. He rolled over to pick himself up, but saw that the bear was right on top of him, reaching for him with his left paw, and raising his right paw to strike him.
At that instant, the atheist cried out, " Oh, my God!"
Time stopped. The bear froze. The forest was silent.
As a bright light shone upon the man, a voice came out of the sky. "You deny my existence for all these years, teach others I don't exist, and even credit creation to cosmic accident. Do you expect me to help you out of this predicament? Am I now to count you as a believer?"
The atheist looked directly into the light and said, "It would be hypocritical of me to suddenly ask you to treat me as a Christian now, but perhaps you could make the BEAR a Christian?"
"Very well", said the voice.
The light went out. The sounds of the forest resumed. The bear dropped his right paw, brought both paws together, bowed his head, and spoke:

"Lord, bless this food which I am about to receive from Thy bounty through Christ our Lord, Amen."

~~~

That's all, now I wish you all peace, Joy and above all mirth, that which rises bubbling to the surface, overtaking you with merriment.

No comments: