Saturday, July 7, 2007

STRESS/HEAT EFFECTS ON BLOOD GLUCOSE LEVELS

Stress, High Blood Pressure and Trauma are relieved for me by cell power


For our purposes stress is:(1)A mentally or emotionally disruptive or upsetting condition occurring in response to adverse external influences and capable of affecting physical health, usually characterized by increased heart rate, a rise in blood pressure, muscular tension, irritability, and depression.

(2)
Stress results when something causes your body to behave as if it were under attack. Sources of stress can be physical, like injury or illness. Or they can be mental, like problems in your marriage, job, health, or finances.
When stress occurs, the body prepares to take action. This preparation is called the fight-or-flight response. In the fight-or-flight response, levels of many hormones shoot up. Their net effect is to make a lot of stored energy - glucose and fat - available to cells. These cells are then primed to help the body get away from danger.
In people who have diabetes, the fight-or-flight response does not work well. Insulin is not always able to let the extra energy into the cells, so glucose piles up in the blood.
Many sources of stress are not short-term threats. For example, it can take many months to recover from surgery. Stress hormones that are designed to deal with short-term danger stay turned on for a long time. As a result, long-term stress can cause long-term high blood glucose levels.
Many long-term sources of stress are mental. Your mind sometimes reacts to a non-dangerous event as if it were a real threat. Like physical stress, mental stress can be short term - from taking a test to getting stuck in a traffic jam. It can also be long term - from working for a demanding boss to taking care of an aging parent. In mental stress, the body pumps out hormones to no avail. Neither fighting nor fleeing is any help when the "enemy" is your own mind.
In people with diabetes, stress can alter blood glucose levels. It does this in two ways. First, people under stress may not take good care of themselves. They may drink more alcohol or exercise less. They may forget, or not have time, to check their glucose levels or plan good meals. Second, stress hormones may also alter blood glucose levels directly.


So it's very important to plan a good routine both for checking the blood glucose levels and staying with a good diet and exercise plan. Many times Stress is caused by factors like life changes making keeping to previous plans difficult especially if there are increased demand from job, family or one's own priorities.

Starting and maintaining good habits in regards to meals and exercise is essential. In times of upheaval a good program will work as automatic response. When I travel I keep my supplies, everything I need in a small box I can carry in a tote bag. My supplement compartmental box with each of my four times per day vitamins, my cellpower, a jug of distilled water, needles and insulin all together to keep that part of my routine going. I work to keep my physical activity levels up even when I have to spend precious hours cooped up in our little car. I stress a lot during travel times because it's so boring and I like to stay busy, in fact I like to do at least three things at once, the best I can do in a car is read, period.

Heat also causes blood sugar to rise: First no one feels much like exercising when it's hot enough to fry an egg on your forehead. Then the rest of the routine stuff can be tossed out the window if one isn't careful. Heat, unrelieved is very stressful, see above for the effects of stress.

We are having a drought here in Michigan where I live. The heat is awful, fortunately we have enough air conditioning to keep our home inside cool, but I still have to work outside to get my exercise. and today I worked out on our sunporch making canvas tote bags so we won't have to use those horrible little plastic grocery bags. I made two bags, but the heat on the porch is awful. My hair sticks out like I stuck my hand in a toaster and my clothes are soaking wet. also I'm going thru' a time of muscle spasming from the stroke I had so my foot hurts from walking on spasming toes. My hands don't want to do what I want them to do, but I'm wa-a-a-ay too stubborn to wait for another day to get my bags done. In fact I usually push myself a bit harder in times like these. Still my blood glucose stays down in the 'normal' range. I believe it has to be the cell power
that is really tiding me over during hard and stressful times. We lost the house we wanted to buy and our landlord here is trying to force us to buy this house that needs the equivalent of the gross National debt of a small European country's worth of work done on it. And my gardens are all dying from the relentless heat, I water and water and water, but it does no good. I'm under some stress, yet I have this wonderful side-effect from getting well, I am nearly euphoric I'm so happy, I attribute it to cell power I tell people if I got any happier I'd be twins and have to pay twice the taxes.

For weight control, lowering Cholesterol, and balancing the Omega -3's and Omega-6 intake I'm still taking a tablespoon of coconut oil




I also take flax seed oil in gel caps~made in the USA.
One of the keys to staying young is staying “young at heart”. Flax Seed, which is rich in essential fatty acids, has been used by civilizations around the world for more than 10,000 years. Flax Seed Oil is a rich source of the Omega-3 Essential Fatty Acid alpha linolenic acid, which is necessary for a wide variety of biological processes. Natrol® Flax Seed Oil is manufactured without the use of chemical Hexane solvents. I like the dark brown capsules because it keeps the oil from going rancid.

All the supplements I take are manufactured here in the US.

~~jokes/quotes~~~

The future is much like the present, only longer.
-- Dan Quisenberry

It is easier to fight for one's principles than
to live up to them.
-- Alfred Adler

One of the most obvious facts about grownups to a
child is that they have forgotten what it is
like to be a child.
-- Randall Jarrell

Before I got married I had six theories about
bringing up children; now I have six children and no
theories.
-- John Wilmot

The remarkable thing about Shakespeare is that he
really is very good, in spite of all the people
who say he is very good.
-- Robert Graves

The reason there is so little crime in Germany is
that it's against the law.
-- Alex Levin



The wages of sin are death, but by the time taxes
are taken out, it's just sort of a tired
feeling.
-- Paula Poundstone

~~~driving laws~~~
Just to assure that your next cross-country vacation does not get pricked by the thorns of legality, we at DMV.ORG have organized a list of arcane state laws that you should be aware of."

Alabama
It is illegal for a driver to be blindfolded while operating a vehicle.

It is legal to drive the wrong way down a one-way street as long as a lantern is attached to the front of your car.


Arkansas

It is illegal for a person to blare the horn on a vehicle at any place where cold drinks or sandwiches are served after 9 p.m.


California

It is illegal in San Francisco to buff or dry your car with used underwear.

No unoccupied vehicle may exceed 60 miles per hour.


Florida

If an elephant is tied to a parking meter, the owner or attendant must deposit money in the meter.


Georgia

In Marietta, Georgia it is illegal to spit from a moving car or bus, but is okay from a moving truck.


Illinois

In Evanston, Illinois it is unlawful to change clothes while inside a car with the curtains drawn, except during a fire.


Published on the DMV website
http://www.dmv.org/fun-stuff/bizarre-driving-laws.php

~~~~

One day a man was bored, so he decided to take up a new sport. He wanted to try something exotic. And he wanted his friends to witness his daring feat. So he phoned them and told them to meet him on a cliff overlooking a beach. When they arrived, he was standing on the edge holding a small yellow bird. Suddenly, he jumped off the side of the cliff. He landed at the bottom, a bit bruised and shaken up, but otherwise okay. He ran back up to the top of the cliff and announced to his friends, "That's the last time I try budgie jumping."
~~~~~

I wish you and yours the very best of health and I remember today is the first day of the rest of your life, make it count, do something healthy for you!

write to me at Webriter@verizon.net or use the comment or chat features.
Christian Biblical stories
Natural herbal remedies
blessings

Please check out what's happening at:Mercola.com
-----THE GARDEN GNOME


SOURCES

(1)YAHOO education dictionary/stress
http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/entry/stress
(2)Diabetes.org/Diabetes & Stress
http://www.montana.edu/craigs/Diabetes%20&%20Stress.htm

No comments: