Sunday, November 18, 2007

KILLER COLDS

I gotta tell you I was completely blindsided. I went to a lovely senior dinner [nope, I'm not a senior yet but they gave me special dispensation-tee he]and I caught a cold. I haven't been sick since I started my diet back last January. I got to thinking I was bullet-proof. I'm here to tell you I haven't had any bullets but I have managed to catch a doozey of a cold. Everyone I talked to said this cold they had just lasted and lasted, they were just awfully sick and my husband mentioned a 'killer' cold* going around. Well no grass goes on me, I had taken a cold remedy years ago when someone told me to take 8000, [or was it 8,500? 85,000 mg of Vitamin C with milk] Even back then I wasn't really sure of the dosage so I took about , oh a million Vitamin tablets and a quart of milk. Within a very short time I had a terrific case of the trots culminating in----NO MORE COLD!!!

I looked it up on the net and found this cure:
(1)
Cold/Flu Cure #1: 8 g every 20 minutes

At first sign of cold or flu, begin taking at least 8 g (8000 mg) of vitamin C as ascorbic acid every twenty minutes for 3 to 4 hours until bowel tolerance, and then smaller dosages of 2-4 g every 4-6 hours for ten days to prevent recurrence.

The 'trick' is achieving almost I.V. blood serum levels by mouth as described in the Hickey/Roberts book ASCORBATE: The Science of Vitamin C. Begin protocol at the first sign of a runny nose, tickle in the throat, etc. If not caught at the beginning, the infection can't be stopped, but you may lessen its severity and duration.



OK, so I ran off to the drugstore and bought some Vitamin C WITH rose hips, that means the Bioflavonoids were part of it, Rutin, and Herperidins, This way the Vitamin C is complete. I immediately took 8 1000 mg tablets with 8oz. of milk, [the milk soften the blow of the ascorbic acid to the stomach. In 20 minutes I'll take 8 more. Then I will keep it up until I've had 80,000 or more milligrams, I'll keep you posted. Actually I started being sick yesterday but didn't remember this cure until I was so miserable today and since hearing about the new 'Killer' cold and I thought back to all the folks I'd prayed for who said they were sick for so long and felt so bad, I knew I had to do something. Oh and I'm dressed warmly and letting myself just get all sweaty from fever to kill off the germies too. I hate being hot so this will be the hard thing.

*(2)
Killer Cold Virus Appears in U.S.
10 Deaths From Outbreaks in 4 States as Ad14 Cold Virus Becomes More Common
By Daniel J. DeNoon
WebMD Medical NewsReviewed by Louise Chang, MDNov. 15, 2007 -- A virulent new form of an old cold virus is spreading in the U.S., causing severe pneumonia and death even in healthy adults.

The virus is adenovirus type 14 or Ad14. Since May 2006, when it killed a 12-day-old girl in New York City, there have been 10 deaths among 141 confirmed cases. Except for the infant girl, the cases came in outbreaks in Oregon, Washington, and Texas.

Different adenovirus strains have caused outbreaks in the past. But this seems to be a particularly "challenging" virus, says CDC epidemic intelligence officer John Su, MD, PhD.

"This particular [adenovirus] is unusual in that it can cause very severe illness in healthy young adults with no other medical condition. That is why this adenovirus stands out from the crowd," Su tells WebMD.


I WANT TO SAY RIGHT HERE I AM NOT ADVOCATING ANYTHING HERE, I'M JUST TELLING PEOPLE WHAT I DO. If you are sick; dial 911 and go see your medical professunul[sic]...blah,blah,blah.

Remember one thing, however your Medical professional will tell you that all colds will last 7-10 days at least. Also they have no helpful recourse for the 'Killer' cold. Well antibiotics..... Please refer to my previous blogs on those, [oy vey].

Also, I checked on those cold cures you see on TV the occo-something and Vi-something, I wasn't impressed with either, the occo-thingy is a homeopathic for symptomatic relief [HEY,I WANT MINE GONE, NOT ANOTHER COVER-UP, THANK YOU]

The Vi-thingy was a conglomeration of drugs [tylenol?] and oh yes! sugar, and it just promised to shorten the duration of the cold, Gee thanks.

So, we bought the vitamin C, and Whole milk, I'm taking my third round now.
Before going to the drugstore I was so tired /I could barely move, I'd had a rough night and was so tired I didn't make it to church today. I drank a big cup of green tea, added a tablespoon of honey and a generous squirt of lemon, and felt almost energetic. That really helped me to get my weary backside out the door to get to the store.

A few words about Vitamin C from the eminent Linus Pauling:
(3)
Vitamin C and the Common Cold
In 1970, Pauling announced in Vitamin C and the Common Cold that taking 1,000 mg of vitamin C daily will reduce the incidence of colds by 45% for most people but that some people need much larger amounts [1]. (The RDA for vitamin C is 60 mg.) The 1976 revision of the book, retitled Vitamin C, the Common Cold and the Flu, suggested even higher dosages [2]. A third book, Vitamin C and Cancer (1979) claims that high doses of vitamin C may be effective against cancer. Yet another book, How to Feel Better and Live Longer (1986), stated that megadoses of vitamins "can improve your general health . . . to increase your enjoyment of life and can help in controlling heart disease, cancer, and other diseases and in slowing down the process of aging." [3] Pauling himself reportedly took at least 12,000 mg daily and raised the amount to 40,000 mg if symptoms of a cold appear [4]. In 1993, after undergoing radiation therapy for prostate cancer, Pauling said that vitamin C had delayed the cancer's onset for twenty years. This was not a testable claim. He died of the disease in August 1994.


This is what is considered to be the "darkside" of his career and the man himself. Alternative medicine/healthy eating was also indicted when Adele Davis died. But everyone dies, I maintain that many people who are convinced that alternative medicine, and wholesome eating, is for them because of a failure of the medical community to help them and a revelation that our food supply is NOT healthy; and they probably lengthened their lives by quite a bit by switching to natural methods of living.

~~~digression~~~
To put things into proportion:
Adele Davis died at age 70, of bone cancer. There were some things she taught that are not accepted today, but there are many more that are.

See, the powers-that-be can take a natural substance like tryptophan off the market because one[1] source came from a foreign country that was suspect, the problem was later fixed, but the FDA maintained that it was still unsafe and banned it temporarily. Now Tryptophan really works it helps one sleep without side effects, but Ambien had a huge lobby in congress and got their competition banned. Paxil, Celebrex, HRT, Ambien, and Vioxx, are still being prescribed after dozens and in some cases 100's of people have been damaged or killed by them. I can't count the times I've heard a friend tell me that yes, they are still taking a drug listed as dangerous [pick one], "But my doctor said 'In your case this drug is necessary and the risks are very much overplayed in the media'." I've heard nearly the exact same words from many people. So, it's OK for a drug to kill but not to take a natural product that possibly a few people might have some adverse effects.

Did you know that PCP and LSD were both originally drugs listed as beneficial for medicine, PCP was "the peace pill", and LSD was to help alcoholics and mental patients. Both were touted by the FDA and the medical community as "safe".
~~~~end digression~~~

Back to the Vitamin C,
(4)
Vitamin C:
Do High Doses Prevent Colds?

Charles W. Marshall, Ph.D.
(Edited by Stephen Barrett, M.D)

Few things have stirred the imagination and hopes of the public in matters of nutrition or vexed nutrition scientists as much as Linus Pauling's 1970 book, Vitamin C and the Common Cold. [1] The book's main claim was that taking 1 gram (1,000 mg) of vitamin C daily would reduce the incidence of colds by 45% for most people, but that some persons might need much larger amounts. It recommended that if symptoms of a cold do start, you should take 500 or 1,000 mg every hour for several hours -- or 4 to 10 grams daily if symptoms don't disappear with smaller amounts. Without question, publication of this book, combined with Pauling's reputation as a Nobel Prize-winning scientist, has made vitamin C a best seller. When his theory was announced, millions of Americans rushed to try it for themselves. The second edition of the book, issued in 1976 as Vitamin C, the Common Cold and the Flu, suggested even higher dosages [2].

Vitamin C and the Common Cold also suggested that most people need a daily vitamin C intake of 2,300 mg or more for "optimum" health and to meet stresses, including infections. In a subsequent book, How to Live Longer and Feel Better, Pauling stated that individual biochemical variability is so great that optimum intake may may be as great as from 250 mg to 20 grams or more per day [3].

Many concerned persons have wondered whether Pauling's advice was prudent, and millions have experimented upon themselves to see whether they could tell. Pauling himself reportedly took 12,000 mg daily and raised it to 40,000 mg when symptoms of a cold appeared! [4] Pauling apparently adapted to such dosage, but most people would suffer chronic diarrhea and the risk of kidney stones. Also, the vast majority of reputable medical and nutritional scientists strongly disagree with him.


It's one of those things we have to decide for ourselves about. I do not like fruits and it's hard to eat it, but I do eat an apple a day and this is part of the reason I felt bullet-proof, but as LP said, if you are still getting colds, take more vitamin C.

OK, I've taken 60,000 milligrams, I stepped up the dosage a bit, I've never been noted for my patience. I do feel better, but that can be due to the fact that one always feels worse in the AM. I'm just not one for lying down and being miserable I'd prefer staying busy and not thinking about being sick. Sooooo, I'm going to get some housecleaning done, do some serioius sweating this crud right outta me and I'll let you all know tomorrow how well my cure does.

I'm still taking
,to help get rid of the candidiasis

Also CellPower™ another fungus killer,
And FLAX SEED OIL for my colon of course
~Glutathione-the master antioxidant is a great helper to counteract many diabetic complications.
~4 essential minerals for diabetics
~SELENIUMhelps immune system,fights infection and aids circulation
~MAGNESIUMhelps to relax you, aids stress and muscle relaxing
~CHROMIUMimproves insulin sensitivity, and helps lower blood sugar.
~ZINC especially to help you heal.
~coconut oil a great fungus killer too

Which incidentally is another fungi-cide and energy booster.

*************************************
Be sure to check out my new favorite interactive health message group healthwatch
Write to me at Webriter@verizon.net or use the comment or chat features. I do appreciate the feedback even if it’s negative, Christian Biblical stories
Natural herbal remedies
blessings

-----THE GARDEN GNOME

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

~~~Jokes and Inspiration~~~
Life is an unbroken succession of false
situations.
-- Thornton Wilder

Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask
what's for lunch.
-- Orson Welles

To me, boxing is like a ballet, except there's no
music, no choreography, and the dancers hit each
other.
-- Jack Handy

Elections are won by men and women chiefly
because most people vote against somebody rather than
for somebody.
-- Franklin P. Adams
~~~
Keith the farmer was in the fertilized egg business. He had several
hundred young layers (hens), called 'pullets,' and eight or ten roosters,
whose job was to fertilize the eggs.

The farmer kept records and any rooster that didn't perform went into the
soup pot and was replaced.

That took an awful lot of his time so he bought a set of tiny bells and
attached them to his roosters. Each bell had a different tone so Keith
could tell from a distance, which rooster was performing. Now he could sit
on the porch and fill out an efficiency report simply by listening to the
bells.

The farmer's favorite rooster was old Butch, and a very fine specimen he
was, too. But on this particular morning Keith noticed old Butch's bell
hadn' t rung at all!

Keith went to investigate. The other roosters were chasing pullets,
bells-a-ringing. The pullet, hearing the roosters coming , would run for
cover. But to Farmer Keith's amazement, Butch had his bell in his beak, so
it couldn't ring. He'd sneak up on a pullet, do his job and walk on to the
next one. Keith was so proud of Butch, he entered him in the Boone County
Fair and Butch became an overnight sensation among the judges.

The Result:
The judges not only awarded Butch the 'No-Bell Piece Prize' but they also
awarded him the 'Pulletsurprise' as well.
~~~

An elderly gentleman.. had serious hearing problems for a number of years. He went to the doctor and the doctor was able to have him fitted for a set of hearing aids that allowed the gentleman to hear 100%.
The elderly gentleman went back in a month to the doctor and the doctor said, "Your hearing is perfect. Your family must be really pleased that you can hear again."
The gentleman replied, "Oh, I haven't told my family yet.
I just sit around and listen to the conversations. I've changed my will three times!"

~~~

Two elderly gentlemen from a retirement center were sitting on a bench under a tree when one turns to the other and says: "Slim, I'm 83 years old now and I'm just full of aches and pains. I know you're about my age. How do you feel?"
Slim says, "I feel just like a newborn baby."
"Really !? Like a new born baby!?"
"Yep. No hair, no teeth, and I think I just wet my pants."

~~~

Hospital regulations require a wheel chair for patients being discharged. However, while working as a student nurse, I found one elderly gentleman already dressed and sitting on the bed with a suitcase at his feet, who insisted he didn't need my help to leave the hospital.
After a chat about rules being rules, he reluctantly let me wheel him to the elevator. On the way down I asked him if his wife was meeting him.
"I don't know," he said. "She's still upstairs in the bathroom changing out of her hospital gown."
~~~

Couple in their nineties are both having problems remembering things. During a checkup, the doctor tells them that they're physically okay, but they might want to start writing things down to help them remember.

Later that night, while watching TV, the old man gets up from his chair. "Want anything while I'm in the kitchen?" he asks. "Will you get me a bowl of ice cream?"
"Sure."
"Don't you think you should write it down so you can remember it?" she asks.
"No, I can remember it."
"Well, I'd like some strawberries on top, too. Maybe you should write it down, so's not to forget it?"
He says, "I can remember that. You want a bowl of ice cream with strawberries."
"I'd also like whipped cream. I'm certain you'll forget that, write it down?" she asks.
Irritated, he says, "I don't need to write it down, I can remember it! Ice cream with strawberries and whipped cream - I got it, for goodness sake!"
Then he toddles into the kitchen. After about 20 minutes, the old man returns from the kitchen and hands his wife a plate of bacon and eggs. She stares at the plate for a moment.
"Where's my toast?"

*********************************************************************************
Today when you think of something you want give something to someone else and Bless them first. I wish for all of you that you be in health and prosper as your soul prospers.

Check this out because there are several other 'cures'.
SOURCES
(1)http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/surefire.htm
(2)http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/news/20071115/killer-cold-virus-ad14-appears-in-us?src=rss_facs
(3)http://adelledavis.org/adelledavis.htm
(4)http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/DSH/colds.html

No comments: