Saturday, August 4, 2007

FACTORS IN DIABETES MANAGEMENT- SEASONAL INFLUENCES

For me, I do tend to stay pretty busy all summer and get better exercise during the summer months. Right now it's getting to where I can't be outside as much. Let's just be honest here for a minute, Even though I've lost weight, I'm still overweight and heat is hard on me. So are the mosquitoes [I must be delicious!], and at this time of year I have to be careful not to go outside too early or too late, so I'm outside during the hot parts of the day. I still get lots of work done, weeding, watering, repotting, assorted wheelbarrow chores; dragging soil and leaves from one place to another.

~~~[digression]~~~
I studied gardening and landscaping from a master gardener in Eastern Washington state, I was much younger then, but I remember at the time I wasn't very healthy; I worked very slowly. I really feel like I'm healthier now, even though I weigh more. A few years after that time in Eastern Washington I was riding a mountain bike daily-in the mountains of Idaho and got so muscular that I'm now dragging around fat and lots of [heavy] muscle, still I think being muscular even under the fat is doing me more good than bad. I believe people who were at one time very active will find it is helpful if they need to regain health after some time being sedentary. Sure it's hard to make the transition from a rocking chair to a daily regimen of exercise, but the reserves to do it are there.
~~~[/digression]~~~

I have motivation to get my home's landscaping looking nice. While we rent this house,[we going to be are buying it, but haven't signed the papers yet]and have lived here for 5 years I've always wanted to do landscaping so I had secured permission to alter what I wanted from our landlord 4 years ago. At that time we spent 8 hour days, 7 days a week every March cleaning out the existing beds, creating new beds. Trimming trees and bushes, painting the house and garage, planting and adding more gardens, building a patio, and maintenance of the 1/2 acre we've accepted as our responsibility. Each year it was something different, a new theme. My husband would groan when I'd say something like, "Honey, This year we can....".

You see he's my Manuel Labor, he carries the big bags of mulch from the car, schleps the patio pavers, and drags the trees I cut down to the woods[I was cutting them down with my bow saw until he bought a chain saw] and he likes to say, "We did that".
If you want to see some of what we've done, I've got lots of photos on this site scroll down to see older pix, photobucket. I have a lot [14 pages! of the inside of the house too, grandkids, crafty stuff...etc. just filter through those to see our home, yard, and the vacant lot next door we maintain too.

Usually I'll go out and start a project we've been talking about and if he gets intrigued he'll join in and start helping. This year he's been much more anxious to start new projects, but then he too is now taking CellPower™. He's losing weight now too, probably because I'm cooking with coconut oil
and is feeling better too. He's had a back injury and was pretty sedentary when we met, 7 years ago. Our yard work is pretty hard on him but he's had years of pain to get used to it and he's so much healthier now, even though he eats mostly meats.

No, I'm not worried about getting exercise in the Summer, I am wondering how I'll do it in winter. I find standing in one place exercising on a machine ludicrous. I have things to do and working out on a machine is just silly. Unfortunately I'm a writer and it is not a very strenuous activity. I have a shop I like to work in in the winter, but when it's really cold my poor feet get so cold standing on the icy concrete floor. I found some carpet that I laid in the garage, but it has to come up to park the car in there. My feet were; from the factory, not made to specs and they have always hurt even when I was thin, so walking for miles is out until I'm much thinner.

I haven't thought of a solution to this problem yet, but I will, I'm hoping as the diabetes fades, as it is doing, I'll be able to lose weight easier and will be lighter on my poor feet, so I will be able to walk in winter.

One thing I really have to do is cut back on my food intake even more. I always feel so hungry now, but it has to be psychological, so I will cut back more. When I was younger I remember thinking of hunger pangs as a good thing, I was losing weight every time my tummy rumbled. NO, I'm no where near being anorexic. As an infant I was waaaay overfed, I have had to battle that all my life.

~~~[digression]~~~
I was just out watering today and I noticed that I actually have figs on my figtree I planted in a pot this year. I never saw any flowers but I see little blobby things growing the 'crotches' of where the upper leaves attach to the main trunk. I was afraid it needed to be older to produce and had given up on having my favorite fruits this year again, I like them fresh but haven't had any since I was nine living in San Bernardino, California. We lived there for a year when my Father was in Viet Nam the first time[1958].
~~~[/digression]~~~

I try to keep up the house and it's up and down stairs to do laundry several times a week. Still that's not enough, and I notice when I take a day off for a short nap or reading a few chapters, I wake up not so chipper the next day.

I'll write a little and go outside and do some puttering, until I'm soaked with sweat, then come in and write some more. This won't go so well in the winter I know.

Exercising [still a dirty word in my vocabulary] is crucial for cardiovascular health too. Getting that heart pumping and flushing out the arteries is so important to keep the old body going strong.

(1)
Seasonal variation: activity in general and walking in particular
Seasonal variation in physical activity has been described in nondiabetic populations. For example, in a community-based study conducted in Michigan, the proportion of respondents reporting no leisure time physical activity was highest in the winter (32.5%) and fall (28.7%) and lowest in the spring (23.4%) and summer (17.0%) [14]. In a Massachussetts study, total MET-hours/day increased by 1.4 (SD = 8.4) among men and 1.0 (SD = 6.0) among women in July compared to January (24-hour physical activity recall) [15]. In one survey, adults who perceived weather as an impediment to walking were three to five times less likely to walk 120 minutes per week [16]. In a study conducted by Tudor-Locke and colleagues, during a one-year period of pedometer self-monitoring in South Carolina and Tennessee (25 participants, nondiabetic), participants recorded a mean of 10,082 steps/day, with 900 more steps/day during the summer compared to the winter. Interestingly, steps/day was highest in June and August, but somewhat lower in July, possibly attributable to extremely warm July temperatures in the southern American states.


Apparently walking is the exercise of choice, so unless I'm ready to quit eating altogether I'd better find some size 6-1/2 EEEE-EEE shoes and get to walking. I suppose I could just buy some pricey children's sneakers and hope for the best, kids' shoes are made wider.

Have a great day, may you be always blessed and your wallet always full, May you find fresh pasture and cool shade. Be blessed my friends!
write to me at Webriter@verizon.net or use the comment or chat features. I do appreciate the feedback even if it’s negative, although if you must put me down read the Whole blog first!
Christian Biblical stories
Natural herbal remedies
blessings

-----THE GARDEN GNOME


AND THE
~~~JOKES~~~
Two bright young engineers applied for the same position at a computer company. Since they had identical qualifications, the company asked the two applicants to take a ten-question test. At the conclusion of the test, one of the applicants was called into the manager's office. "I have graded the test, and you both scored nine correct answers and got one answer wrong. Thank you for your interest, but we've decided to give the job to the other applicant."

"And why would you choose him if we both got nine questions correct?" asked the rejected applicant. "We have based our decision not on the correct answers, but on the question you missed," said the Department manager.

"And just how would one incorrect answer be better than the other?" the rejected applicant inquired.

"Simple," said the Department manager, "The other gentleman answered Question #5, 'I don't know.' Your answer to Question #5 was, 'Neither do I.'"
~~~

Three friends die in a car accident and they go to an orientation in heaven. They are all asked, "When you are in your casket and friends and family are mourning you, what would you like to hear them say about you? The first guy says,"I would like to hear them say that I was a great doctor of my time, and a great family man." The second guy says, "I would like to hear that I was a wonderful husband and school teacher which made a huge difference in our children of tomorrow." The last guy replies, "I would like to hear them say ... Look, He's Moving!

~~~
One day a policeman stopped a motorist who had just gone through a four way stop sign and was about to give him a ticket when the motorist said. "Officer you can't give me a ticket for that!' "Why not" said the officer. "Because although I did not stop I slowed right down and its almost the same." "But you did not stop" replied the officer, "and the sign says STOP." "But the way was clear and it was safe" replied the motorist. The officer then pulls out his baton and starts hitting the motorist. "What are you doing!" yells the motorist in surprise. "Do you want me to slow down or stop" says the officer.

~~~

That reminds me of the difference between involved and committed, when it comes to your breakfast the hen was involved the pig was committed.
~~~

If you can start the day without caffeine,
If you can get going without pep pills,
If you can always be cheerful, ignoring aches and pains,
If you can resist complaining and boring people with your troubles,
If you can eat the same food every day and be grateful for it,
If you can understand when your loved ones are too busy to give you any time,
If you can take criticism and blame without resentment
If you can ignore a friend's limited education and never correct him,
If you can resist treating a rich friend better than a poor friend,
If you can conquer tension without medical help,
If you can relax without liquor,
If you can sleep without the aid of drugs,
....Then You Are Probably The Family Dog!

SOURCES
(1)CARDIOVASCULAR DIABETOLOGY/Walking behaviour and glycemic control in type 2 diabetes: seasonal and gender differences-Study design and methods
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1783642

No comments: