Wednesday, October 17, 2007

LIGHTING UP WITH ELECTROLYTES

We need a balance of salt and potassium to maintain a healthy electrolyte balance, but not in equal amounts, we actually need 10 times the potassium as salts, so that salty drink you have while walking on the treadmill is only replacing salt you no doubt get plenty of at breakfast, lunch or dinner. Are you eating your fruits? Are you getting enough potassium?

(1)electrolytes are salts that conduct electricity and are found in the body fluid, tissue, and blood. Examples are chloride, calcium, magnesium, sodium, and potassium. Sodium (Na+) is concentrated in the extracellular fluid (ECF) and potassium (K+) is concentrated in the intracellular fluid (ICF). Proper balance is essential for muscle coordination, heart function, fluid absorption and excretion, nerve function, and concentration.

(2)Electrolytes are minerals in your blood and other body fluids that carry an electric charge. It is important for the balance of electrolytes in your body to be maintained, because they affect the amount of water in your body, blood pH, muscle action, and other important processes. You lose electrolytes when you sweat, and these must be replenished by drinking lots of fluids.
Electrolytes exist in the blood as acids, bases, and salts (such as sodium, calcium, potassium, chlorine, magnesium, and bicarbonate) and can be measured by laboratory studies of the blood serum.


(3)*Sodium plays a major role in regulating the amount of water in the body. Also, the passage of sodium in and out of cells is necessary for many body functions, like transmitting electrical signals in the brain and in the muscles. The sodium levels are measured to detect whether there's the right balance of sodium and liquid in the blood to carry out those functions.
If a child becomes dehydrated because of vomiting, diarrhea, or inadequate fluid intake, the sodium levels can be abnormally high or low, which can cause a child to feel confused, weak, and lethargic, and even to have seizures.
*Potassium is essential to regulate how the heart beats. When potassium levels are too high or too low, it can increase the risk of an abnormal heartbeat. Low potassium levels are also associated with muscle weakness.
*Chloride, like sodium, helps maintain a balance of fluids in the body. If there's a large loss of chloride, the blood may become more acidic and prevent certain chemical reactions from occurring in the body that are necessary it to keep working properly.
*Bicarbonate prevents the body's tissues from getting too much or too little acid. The kidney and lungs balance the levels of bicarbonate in the body. So if bicarbonate levels are too high or low, it might indicate that there's a problem with those organs

(4)What can high-potassium foods do for you?
*Help your muscles and nerves function properly
*Maintain the proper electrolyte and acid-base balance in your body
**Help lower your risk of high blood pressure
What events can indicate a need for more high-potassium foods?
*Muscle weakness,*Confusion,*Irritability, *Fatigue, *Heart problems,*Chronic diarrhea, *Regular, intense exercise, *Use of certain diuretics

Food sources of potassium:Swiss chard,boiled lima beans, button mushrooms, cooked yam, winter squash, baked soybeans, cooked avacado, spinach, boiled pinto beans, cooked papaya, cooked lentils. I can't imagine cooked avacadoes or papaya... but I know bananas have a lot of it too.

(5) ANOTHER SOURCE SAYS THIS:
Several major food groups are high in potassium including white meats, root vegetables, and fresh fruit, along with dairy. If prepared in a healthy way, they will also contribute to a healthy and balanced diet. If you are consuming a food for its potassium, try to eat it raw, if possible. Otherwise, bake it or include it in a soup: frying or boiling reduces the amount of available potassium, along with many other nutrients.

In this souce I see I'm getting plenty with my diet of chicken and apples/carrots every day.


I also take CellPower™ , and also I'm using:
FLAX SEED OIL for my colon, but of course FLAX SEED OIL is also a great source of omega-3 essential fatty acids.
And one each of the four essential minerals each day:
~SELENIUMhelps immune system,fights infection and aids circulation
~MAGNESIUMhelps to relax you, aids stress and muscle relaxing
~CHROMIUMimproves insulin sensitivity, and helps lower blood sugar.
~ZINC every day.

*************************************
Be sure to check out my new favorite interactive health message group healthwatch
Write to me at Webriter@verizon.net or use the comment or chat features. I do appreciate the feedback even if it’s negative, Christian Biblical stories
Natural herbal remedies
blessings

-----THE GARDEN GNOME


~~~~Jokes And inspirations~~~~
There were only two people in line ahead of me at the electronics store, yet the wait was dragging on forever. Finally the customer behind me muttered, "Mr. Hare must be on vacation." Only then did I notice the name tag on the man at the register. It read: "Mr. Turtle, sales associate."

~~~
My new credit card arrived in the mail with a large sticker on it, giving the phone number to activate the card. I called the number and got one option: "press one" to activate the credit card. That led me to a live person, who answered with her first name and the title "credit card activator." As I got ready to give her the necessary information, she interrupted me, asking, "How can I help you?"
~~~
To entertain a business partner from England last winter, my father took him to a restaurant in Butte, Montana. They ordered red wine, which arrived icy cold, seemingly straight from the refrigerator. "Oh, miss," my father's guest said to the waitress. "Red wine should be served at room temperature."

"Is that right?" she replied. "Then maybe you should come visit us again in July."
~~~
I am full-figured, and when I dine in restaurants, I often find the chairs too small and uncomfortable. The last time I ate out I filled in a comment card, saying that while the food and service were wonderful, the chairs did not accommodate anyone over a size 14. Several weeks later I received a note of apology -- and a coupon for a free dessert.
~~~
Some people just aren't happy unless they have something to complain about. I stayed in a beautiful hotel right on the beach in California -- an idyllic spot, you would think. But while I was waiting to check out, I heard the manager ask another guest, "Did you enjoy your stay?"

"Not really," the man said grimly.

"I'm sorry to hear that," the manager apologized.

"What was the problem?"

"The surf was too loud."


~~~
I called my local utility for help with a minor malfunction in my outdoor gas grill. Their automated phone system put me on hold for over 20 minutes. As I waited, I was grateful my problem wasn't worse -- especially when I heard a pre-recorded message repeatedly advise, "If you smell gas, stay on the line."
~~~
For years I've been getting a terrific rotisserie chicken from a nearby restaurant. One night as I placed an order to go, I told the girl behind the counter, "I'll pick it up later. Do you want my name?"

"Oh, no," she said. "I've seen you come in here a lot." Then she scribbled something on a piece of paper. Feeling flattered, I did my errands. When I grabbed my order, I glanced at her note on the bag: "Old man in the pink shirt."
~~
Here is a true story,I used to live in a downtown apartment house that featured a fire escape, My window was right next to it. The door to the fire escape was always locked so you could get out but not in. One night a man was pounding on the door from the oustside and I called the police to take care of the nuisance. They showed up and found him with their flashlights two floors farther up still trying to get inside. They ordered him to identify himself, I didn't hear his response but I did hear one of the cops scream,"Are you are burglar?," then, "are you sure?" I was so tickled by that I just howled with laughter, I just kept saying, "Are you a burglar, Are you sure?"
~~~
Have a great day, be blessed and protected from all harm.

SOURCES
(1)http://www.nephrologychannel.com/electrolytes/
(2)http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002350.htm
(3)http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/general/sick/labtest5.html
(4)http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=90
(5)http://www.wisegeek.com/which-foods-are-good-sources-of-potassium.htm

No comments: