Friday, April 20, 2007

HIGH BG LEVELS AND DIET

Since I started getting readers I’ve had so many lovely people [and how I appreciate all the information,truly] sending me advice and instructions from their own experiences in reversing diabetes. I’ve gotten a bewildering array of counsel like eat whole grain, eat no grain, eat alkalizing foods, eat bright colored fruits and vegetables, don’t eat any fruits, eat corn, don’t eat corn. And from the 'net I’ve gathered a long list of lists good foods bad foods, and the lists contradict each other wildly. I’ve come to the conclusion that some experimentation of my own is necessary.

Here is an oldie from the forwards to show how it really goes.

The truth after all those conflicting nutritional studies.
1. The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.
2. The Mexicans eat a lot of fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.
3. The Chinese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.
4. The Italians drink a lot of red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.
5. The Germans drink a lot of beer and eat lots of sausages and fats and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.
CONCLUSION: Eat and drink what you like. Speaking English is apparently what kills you.

I would say it's our Western diet that is causing all the troubles. This includes; GM foods, fast foods, AND prepared or refined foods that are in reality inedible and should not be eaten by anyone!

I have a few hard and fast rules, this is just for me and I’m not advocating any weird thing here:

Ø First I eat no prepared foods; in winter I need to eat some frozen things [fruits and veggies, blanched and frozen, no prepared dinner-types] and I break my rule against canned foods by using canned tomatoes.
Ø Second, I really have worked to rid my diet of any Genetically Modified [GM] foods. no rice, no corn, for instance, and of course no milk!
Ø Third, I eat no red meats; I can’t digest it anyway. I've had this proven to myself over and over.
Ø I eat very little fat, exception Omega-3’s. Again, can't digest it.
Ø I eat as little Dairy as physically possible. [Lactose intolerant, I figure if my body reacts to ice cream and milk by swelling up, no other dairy can be good for me.]
Ø I eat no bananas, there are several reasons for this but suffice it to say I do better without them.
Ø I will eat tea and [rye] toast with a small amount of butter for breakfast
[it works for me]
Ø I will not use any artificial sweeteners, I haven’t for a very long time; I know it harms me.
Ø I will take supplements to help my body to repair itself.
Ø I will exercise at least 4 times a week.

So what I’m saying here is it takes some trial, error, and success. I’ve always been a pretty natural food advocate anyway, so fast foods establishments were pretty much avoided, how I loved Kentucky fried chicken, however. I did take the skin off, so there!

Sadly, my cold has hung on, indeed gained speed and dimension, not to mention dominion… My cough is bad, my nose is runny AND I sound like Chewbacca!

My BG level is still high, and daggum it I exercised like mad yesterday, I worked full-out for hours I burned off calories, glucose and inches I know I did, I ate only good stuff, I didn’t have any of my diabetic treats or cocoa, even though I really felt I’d earned them, sniff! My pre-prandial BG level was still in the 130’s[sigh] so today I’m adding back 5 units of insulin to my morning dose. [This morning’s BG was incredibly still in the 140’s] :Shocked:
Well back to the basics, I’m going back on the Jumpstart diet, after this cold is gone; maybe that’s the whole problem…
(1) How Illness Affects Blood Sugar Levels
”When you get sick — whether it's a minor illness like a sore throat or cold or a bigger problem like dehydration or surgery — the body perceives the illness as stress. To relieve the stress, the body fights the illness. This process requires more energy than the body normally uses.

On the one hand, this is good because it helps supply the extra fuel the body needs. On the other hand, in a person with diabetes, this can lead to high blood sugar levels. Some illnesses cause the opposite problem, though. If you don't feel like eating or have nausea or vomiting, and you're taking the same amount of insulin you normally do, you can develop blood sugar levels that are too low.
In a nutshell, blood sugar levels can be very unpredictable when you're sick. Because you can't be sure how the illness will affect your blood sugar levels, it's important to those levels often on sick days and adjust your insulin doses as needed.”

Ah, so it’s another version of the liver Dump as in the ”Dawn Phenomenon”[see Somogi effect and Dawn Phenomenon]

I added an extra 5 units of insulin so it should remedy the problem. I have house painting to do today so I'll still be getting my exercise, and I’ll be sure to drink lots of filtered water.
The really sad thing is I can see my body is not reacting in a healthy insulin reaction to problems yet.
My email address is webriter@verizon.net, if you write I will answer, please don't just spam me or add me to a list.

In the meanwhile I’ll be continuing my use of supplements to aid in my recovery, I especially need the zinc to speed recuperation.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Milk thistle-liver improvement-detox

grape seed antioxidant

Coral Calcium

Chromium-improve insulin sensitivity and lower blood glucose levels

zinc-healing-development, reproduction, digestion, respiration and proper brain, nerve, vision and immune function

B-complex

Cinnamon to regulate blood glucose levels

flax seed oil- antioxidant- also for digestion

Psyllium plus-Fiber for good digestion

Bilberry-eye health-diabetic vision support

Alpha lipoic acid for Liver healing; antioxidant
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




SOURCES:
(1) The Nemours foundation/ How Illness Affects Blood Sugar Levels
’http://kidshealth.org/college/your_body/medical_care/diabetes_sick.html’

No comments: