Saturday, March 24, 2007

weight loss, help for diet and exercise;why am I diabetic?

I'm not what you'd call consistent, especially in the exercise department. Some days I go like a ball of fire getting so much done it's nearly unbelievable. Other days I can barely get out of bed. This is one of my in between days, It's not that there aren't hundreds of things to do, I just am having trouble getting going.

However, that said, I'm still losing weight, I've lost a total of 25 pounds in just over two months. My clothes fit better, I generally do have more energy, and I'm not feeling deprived by a very low calorie diet[speaking of which; the two chocolate bars in my desk drawer have completely lost their temptation lure]. Since I don't have the first clue how to count calories I really don't know what I'm taking in calorie-wise. I stay close to the non-inflammatory food list, eat in moderation and hold way down on sugars and starchy carbs, and even farther down in fats of any kind and zero trans fats. How can I say that? Because I do not eat prepared foods.

I get more flavor from slow-cooking than from sugar/fat/salt. I use chicken stock from boiling chicken for my dogs to enhance the flavors of some dishes [fat removed, of course] I use spices and herbs to give my food more appeal. I cook with much less carbohydrate starchy stuff like potatoes and pasta. And the surprising thing is my husband, except for his overwhelming love for red meats [argh,argh, ARGH]is pretty much on my diet also.

Generally I'll eat chicken breasts and 'pinjur' sauce while he eats steaks and fries, but the soups I make, and by the way soups are a great diet food, are made without any pasta, rice or potatoes.

Remember the vegetables you cook are much less nutritious than those eaten raw or almost raw. The fresh stuff has enzymes we desperately need for digestion of our foods, also the vitamin and mineral content of vegetables is lost by heat.

OK my question is this. The very definition of type II diabetes is insulin resistant diabetes, so it's not really a disease but a condition [no germs causing the body to quit making insulin, no pancreatectomy[??} so the body Can't produce any insulin, no genetic anomalies causing the body to quit making insulin, just the body putting up ramparts and fortifications against the insulin it produces.] Resistant means the body doesn't want it, so why add MORE insulin to fix the problem? If it's something the body is rejecting it; adding more can cause problems, right? So, I need to make my body love the insulin it produces, not build up barriers against it.
We'll pick up here on Monday. I'm going to do some research in the meantime.

No comments: