Wednesday, May 9, 2007

FIBER REDUX

I want to preface all of this by saying I honestly thought I was getting plenty of fiber everyday, but checking sources, amounts of fiber per serving, and inventorying my eating habits have given me an insight and a horrifying revelation.
Technorati Profile
Yesterday I was trying very hard to get plenty of fiber, and even though I ate a full pound of Asparagus, a huge double serving of broccoli, toast, popcorn (!), a fiber supplement as well as my colon cleanse with whatever fiber is in them, I fell short on my required fiber intake. Heavy sigh! How will I ever be able to get my fiber intake up to where it should be? No wonder I was constipated, But the question remains, How can I get my fiber intake up there? This AM I made a batch of oatmeal, apples, cinnamon, nutmeg and honey. I made enough for two days, I doubled up on the amount of oatmeal to make it very thick and add fiber grams, I figured out my breakfast with toast and tea added up to a whopping 10 grams! I will be eating a large batch of broccoli for lunch and I’ve started a pot of small white beans for my white bean and turkey soup. If I gorge on beans I will just squeak by at 30 grams.

I figure if I don’t eat the [hated] oatmeal, sigh; my meals have devolved to taking medicine, I won’t have any time left in the day, I’ll be chewing, chewing, chewing apples, raw spinach and raisins ALL day and ALL night. Just trying to get my daily ration of fiber grams.

A quick word on labeling
(1) The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has defined the following terms for food labeling
High fiber = 5 grams or more of fiber per serving
Good source of fiber = 2.5 grams to 4.9 grams of fiber per serving

I am unaware of any food that is labeled that has more than five grams of fiber per serving. In fact I am completely skeptical that there is a food that contain That much fiber in a single serving(!)with a possible exception of a piece of firewood. Don't laugh, Weyerhauser the big logging concern on the west coast made a high fiber bread that was loaded with saw dust!

I used to think that carrots had a lot of fiber so I snacked on bags of those baby carrots which are just highly peeled and pared down regular carrots, and I found they didn't help so I went to eating the regular carrots with peels on, to eating cooked carrots that is really much better for me.

(2)1 carrot has three grams of fiber. I eat lots of them.
2 cups raw spinach leaves = 3 grams I can't eat that much spinach!
1 cup strawberries = 4 grams I can't wait for my garden to give me lots of strawberries!
1 pear = 4 grams I love pears and will be eating lots this summer.
1 medium apple = 4 grams I eat apples!
1 cup cooked oatmeal= either 3 or 4 grams, depending on the source you are checking out. I'll just think of it as 4 thank you.
flax seeds One tablespoon=3 grams. Flaxseed contains a balance of soluble and insoluble fiber, too.
I've tried to grind up flax seeds but all they get is whirled not ground up at all. I've also tried eating teaspoons of the seeds grinding them up by chewing theyt are tasy and really have helped my digestive health while adding valuable fiber to my diet.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Recipe~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
White bean and turkey leg soup
a surprisingly tasty soup, and so good for me!

1 cup of small white beans soaked overnight, drained, rinsed, drained, rinsed and slowly simmered in
5 cups of water until soft.
Do not add any salt or flavoring to beans until soft!
add 1 quart of fat removed chicken stock
1 meaty trkey leg, simmer for hours until meat falls off the bone.

The trick to really great tasting soup is to simmer on LOW heat for a long time.

Add 1 Tbs. Lemon pepper or sea salt to taste!
1 Tbs Mrs. Dash's no salt seasoning to taste,
I'm going to put some 1/2 cup chopped celery and
1 Tbs. minced dried parsley in mine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please note there is a search function on the top left of this blog so you can look up any topic I've written on any time! see yesterday's blog for lots of information on Fiber and Honey.






Please write to me if you have any suggestions, comments or advice. webriter@verizon.net.

enzymatic therapy whole body cleanse


flax seeds





SOURCES
(1)INTERNATIONAL FOOD INFORMATION COUNCIL/Focus on Fiber: Why Roughage Still Warrants Our Attention
http://www.ific.org/foodinsight/2004/ja/fiberfi404.cfm

(2)web md.com/6 Foods and Tips for More Fiber
http://www.webmd.com/solutions/fiber-super-nutrient/six_ways

No comments: